It is now possible to purchase professional quality, full size travel bicycles, including tandems, from over 100 independent bicycle framebuilders.
If you have a passion for cycling and would like to take your favorite bike along as regular luggage when you travel, please check us out!
Greg LeMond comments regarding his S and S Coupled LeMond road bike.
Co-Motion Cycles - Road
Independent Fabrication - Mountain
Bilenky Cycle Works - Tandem
Rodriguez Bicycles - Touring
S and S Coupling™ (patented)
What is a BTC™?
An S and S Coupling™ also known as a Bicycle Torque Coupling™ or BTC™, is a precision lug that is installed in a bicycle frame when it's manufactured to allow it to separate and pack for easy transportation. Some builders will even install or retrofit BTCs™ into an existing frame. With this system, a full size road or mountain bike will fit completely inside a single 26" x 26" x 10" case that travels as regular airline luggage. Some framebuilders manufacture full size tandems that will fit complete, including the wheels, in the same case!
What is a BTC in German
How will the bicycle ride?
- A bicycle manufactured with this system is ultra strong yet lightweight (two BTCs™ add only 8 oz. total to a typical road bike) and it feels exactly the same as a bicycle built without BTCs™. There is no added frame flex and the BTC™ is absolutely silent!
- Don't just take our word for it. Read the comments and reviews to find out what others have to say.
How strong are they?
- Destructive tests show that a coupling is stronger than a Reynolds 531 tube.
- Nondestructive tests show that a BTC™ is stiffer than a Reynolds 531 tube.
- Crash tests (riders came out fine):
- The key to the coupling's strength is the tapered tooth design which eliminates all movement where the teeth meet.
When the nut is tightened with a spanner wrench, the teeth wedge together and lock to produce a rigid, zero clearance joint that remains tight.
All components are precision CNC machined for a perfect fit.
- Over 100 framebuilders including some of the worlds best from Australia, Canada, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, Switzerland, United Kingdom and the United States
- The list links to a builder profile for each framebuilder which includes a link to their home page.
- View Builder Logos instead of a list. Slow to download (about 250K). For speed, use the framebuilder list.
Photo gallery Scroll down or use these links
- Battaglin road bike retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Bianchi road bike retrofit by Jon Tallerico (includes packing and more)
- Bianchi road bike retrofit by Steve Rex
- Bob Jackson road bike retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Cinelli retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Colnago retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Colnago retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works with custom carved lugs
- DeBernardi Road Frame Retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Eddy Merckx Titanium Road Bike Retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Eddy Merckx Titanium Road Bike Retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Fuji road bike retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Giordana 2001 Titanium AL retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- GT Edge Titanium Road Bike Retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Hujsak Road Bike Retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Jamis, Rambouillet and Centurion Frames retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- LeMond road bikes retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- LeMond road bike with ovalized titanium tubes retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Litespeed Firenza road bike retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works (ovalized down tube)
- Litespeed road bikes (two) retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Litespeed titanium road frame retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Litespeed Vortex Retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Litespeed Veneto titanium road frame retrofit by Ti Cycles
- Marinoni retrofit Marinoni, chrome plated. Retrofit by J. P. Weigle
- Marinoni titanium road frame retrofit by True North Cycles
- Masi road bike retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Merlin road bike retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Merlin road bike retrofit by Ti Cycles
- Moots Hampsten road bike retrofit by Ti Cycles
- Panasonic road bike retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Performance titanium retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Pinarello road frame retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Raleigh road frame retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Raleigh road bike retrofit by Courtney Custom Cycles see it packed step by step
- Richard Sachs Road Bike Retrofit with S and S Couplings by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Rivendell Rambouillet retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Rivendell Romulus retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Sampson ti road frame by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Simoncini road bike retrofit by Simoncini
- Somec road frame retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Serotta Colorado retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Serotta CSI Lugged frame retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Serotta Hors Categorie retrofit by TiCycles
- Serotta steel road frame with tapered tubes retrofit by Ti Cycles
- Serotta ti road bike retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Seven Axiom Retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Seven Odonata Road Bike Retrofit by TiCycles
- Steelman road bike retrofit my Bilenky Cycle Works
- Trek Single Track retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Trek 720 retrofit by Powers Design Quality
- Univega road bike retrofit by Ted Wojcik.
- Waterford road bike retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works.
- Bridgestone, 1993 XO-1 retrofit by Courtney Custom Cycles
- Bruce Gordon Rock N' Road Touring Bike Retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Dawes touring bike retrofit by Bob Jackson Cycles
- Heron retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Lygie road bike retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Nishiki Touring Bike Retrofit with S and S Couplings by CycleArt
- Rivendell Atlantis touring bike retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Rivendell Atlantis touring bike, 68cm frame retrofit by Rex Cycles
- Trek 520 touring bike retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
Single Speed / Fixed Gear Photos
- Bilenky Daily Planet single speed travel bike
- Bilenky Signature Travel single speed with custom carved lugs
- Bilenky Signature Travel single speed with custom carved lugs
- Calfee Luna Track Bike
- Calfee Fixed Gear Bicycle
- Cinelli fixed gear retrofit by Franklin Cycles
- Gallus Cycles fixed gear cross bike
- Geekhouse belt drive bike with a seat stay coupling which allows the belt to be installed.
- Paramount fixed gear retrofit by Waterford Precision Cycles.
- Basso titanium mountain bike retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Bridgestone X0-1 retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Bridgestone XO-1 retrofit by Powers Design Quality
- KHS mountain bike retrofit done by Bilenky. Shows the steps of retrofitting.
- Litespeed Unicoi titanium mountain bike retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Moots Mountain Bike Retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Specialized Mountain Bike retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Specialized Rock Hopper retrofit by RMA
- Salsa Alacarte retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Soma Groove mountain bike retrofit by TiCycles
- ariZonaTandems carbon fiber tandem in 3 sections
- ariZonaTandems Davis Double carbon fiber tandemm
- ariZonaTandems Davis Doublee Lite Flite
- Arvon tandem bicycle frame in 3 sections..
- Bilenky Cosmo-Comfort Travel Tandem with an internal 14 speed hub
- Bilenky "Moonbeam"" Softridebeam tandem
- Bilenky Signature Tinker road tandem in 3 sections and it fits in one airline legal hard case..
- Bilenky Signature Travel Tandem shown with aa Bilenkytrailer for towing a hard case
- Bilenky Deluxe Tinker Tandem with 26" wheels shown being built, step by step..
- Bilenky Deluxe Tinker tandem with 26" wheels
- BilenkyDeluxe Tinker Tandem with aa BilenkyTurtle Tow Trailerrfor towing a hard case.
- Bilenky Lugged Tandem with S and S Couplings.Best Tandem Bike at the NAHBS for 2009
- Bilenky tandem in 3 sections (not a loose tube configuration)
- Bilenky tandem bicycle with touring gear on the bike.
- Bilenky Tinkerr AerMet® and stainless steel hybrid tandem in 3 sections..
- Bilenky Tinker mountain tandem in 3 sections.. This is the very first tandem ever built with S and S Couplings!!!
- Bilenky Travel Tandem 650b Fillet Brazed with S and S Couplings.Runner Up - Best in Show Cirque du Cyclisme 2009
- Bilenky Viewpoint semi-recumbent tandem packed in one backpack case
- BobBob Brown tandems split into 2 sections
- Bob Brown tandem with hand built lugs andd daVinciIndependent Drivee
- Bob Brown tandem bicycle in 3 sectionss
- Burley Rumba S&S tandem bicycle in 3 sections.
- Burley Duet S&S tandem bicycle in 3 sections.
- Bushnell road tandem withh Rohloffhub
- Calfee carbon fiber tandem in 3 sectionn
- Co-Motion Mocha Co-Pilot Tandem with S and S Couplings Round the World Tour
- Co-Motion Co-Pilot Periscope tandem
- Co-Motion Customm Softridetandem bicycle in 3 sections..
- Co-Motion Co-Pilot tandem bicycle in 3 sections and a packed backpack case.
- Co-Motion Co-Pilot tandem in bicycle 3 sections..
- Co-Motion Co-Pilot tandem bicycle in 3 sections..
- Co-Motion Cappuccino Co-Pilot tandem bicycle
- Co-Motion Cappuccino tandem bicycle in 3 sections..
- Co-Motion Mocha Co-Pilot tandem bicycle
- Co-Motion Mocha Co-Pilot tandem shown taken apart on a train in France
- Co-Motion PrimeraCo-Pilot tandem bicycle in 3 sections
- Co-Motion Sky Capp tandem bicycle. (aa Softridebeam on a production model)
- Co-Motion Speedster Co-Pilot tandem bicycle
- Co-Motion SupremoCo-Pilot tandem bicycle
- Concept Technology Softride,trapezoidal design tandem in 3 sections..
- daVinci customm Softridebeam tandem bicycle
- daVinci custom for blind stoker. Captain's position adjusts without impacting stoker's position.
- daVinci Global Venture Road in 3 sections.
- Davidson tandem bicycle in 3 sections
- Erickson Signature "Rose" tandem bicycle with duall Softrideand carved BTCs
- Erickson custom tandem bicycle in 3 sections. Glenn Erickson's personal tandem..
- Erickson custom tandem bicycle in 3 sections with Glenn in the photo
- Erickson tandem bicycle in 3 sections.
- Erickson Signature tandem frame with carved BTCs
- Kent Eriksen Cycles tandem frame in 3 sections
- Kent Eriksen Cycles tandem in 2 sections
- Pedalpower tandem in 2 sections shown packed in one oversize hard case
- Lynskey Performance titanium tandem
- Meridian Softride tandem bicycle in 3 sections
- Rex tandem with a two-tone paint job
- Rock Lobster tandem frame and fork
- Seven Cycles Axiom 007 titanium road tandem bicycle in 3 sectionss
- Seven Cycles custom titanium tandem in 3 sections
- St John Street Cycles Customized Thorn Discovery Tandem in 3 sections..
- Spectrum custom tandem bicycle in 3 sections..
- Spectrum Cycles Road / Cross tandem in 3 sectionss
- Thorn Adventure tandem bicycle in 2 sections
- Thorn Discovery tandem bicycle in 2 sections
- True North Cycles Tandem in 3 sections
- Ventana El Conquistador mountain tandem in 3 sections
- Zinn titanium tandem with four couplings
- Zinn titanium tandem with nine couplings, instead of the normal six, due to its large size
- Burley Duet, Early 90's retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Burley Duet 3 coupling retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works to fit into a private plane
- Burley retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works.
- Co-Motion Speedster before, during and after retrofitting by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Ibis tandem bicycle retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works. Before, during and after retrofitting.
- Ibis tandem bicycle retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Ibis tandem retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Longbikes retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Meridian tandem retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Ritchey Tandem Retrofit by Bilenky Cylcle Works
- Santana Arriva 3 coupling (only 2 sections instead of 3) retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Santana Cilantro tandem bicycle retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Santana Cilantro tandem bicycle retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works. (before during and after)
- Santana Cilantro and Co-Motion tandems retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works meet in France
- Swallow tandem bicycle retrofit by Swallow Tandems
- Richmond Cycles tandem bicycle retrofit by Kinetics
- Alex Mead Bikeworks quad in 2 sections
- Calfee carbon fiber triplet in 4 sections
- Bilenky quad bicycle in 2 sections.
- Bilenky Signature S&S triplet bicycle in 3 sections.
- Bilenky Triple that separates into 2 sections
- Co-Motion triplet bicycle frame in 2 sections (custom paint)
- Pedal Power triplet in 3 sections
- ariZona Due X Tre carbon fiber convertible tandem or triplet
- Calfee Design Tetra carbon fiber convertible tandem or triplet bicycle
- Bilenky T3 convertible tandem/triplet converts from tandem to triplet bicycle
- Bilenky tandem, triplet, quad convertible bicycle
- Bilenky Triplicator converts a S and S equipped tandem to a triplet bicycle.
- Black Sheep Bikes "Single-Tandem" custom mountain bike
- Co-Motion Periscope Trident convertible
- Co-Motion tandem triplet convertible
- Co-Motion tandem - quad convertible
- Co-Motion tandem, triplet, quad quint convertible bicycle "The Pedouins"
- Cycles LaMoure Solo Tandem, Singe/tandem convertible
- GREENSPEED GTVS6 tandem/solo trike.
- Longbikes quad - hex convertible 16 1/5 feet long in the 6 seat configuration.
- M . Steel Cycles Tandem Bicycle (2 wheels) to Tandem Trike (3 wheels) Convertible.
- Meridian Attaché convertible tandem/triplet bicycle
- Meridian S&S quad-convertible. Converts from a quad to a triple or a tandem bicycle.
- Meridian tandem, triplet, quad, quint convertible bicycle.
- Precison Tandems triplet, quad, quint convertible bicycle with S and S Couplings (Aluminum quint with bonded couplings)
- Rodriguez Eight-Ball tandem (26" wheel) converts from tandem to single bicycle.
- Rodriguez Eight-Ball tandem (24" wheel) converts from tandem to single bicycle.
- Rodriguez Trillium quad, triplet, tandem convertible bicycle
- Swallow "tandem to triplet conversion" and retrofit.
- Ventana full suspension mountain tandem-triplet-quad-quint convertible.
- Easyracers Ti Rush titanium recumbent retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- GREENSPEED GTS 20/20 coupled sports touring tricycle
- GREENSPEED GTO touring trike
- Lightning P-38 recumbent retrofit in 2 sections.
- Lightning P-38 Voyager in one hard case.
- LoGo VFT Tadpole Pocket Trike
- Rans Force 5 recumbent retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works (includes packing photos)
- Rans Rocket retrofit w/S&S Couplers buy Calhoun Cycle.
- Rans V-Rex retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Ryan Vanguard recumbent in 2 sections.
- Tour Easy recumbent retrofit by Bilenky Cycle Works
- Barcroft Columbia tandem recumbent in 4 sections
- Bilenky tandem trike
- Bilenky Viewpoint semi-recumbent tandem.
- Bilenky Viewpoint semi-recumbent tandem packed into a Trico single bike case
- Bilenky Viewpoint Signature tandem
- Bilenky LX Sport Travel Viewpoint semi-recumbent tandem in 3 sections, shown packed in one 14" hard case.
- Bilenky Waltz semi-recumbent triplet. (1 recumbent, 2 conventional, 3 rear facing recumbent)
- Easyracers custom tandem
- GREENSPEED GTT 20/20 tandem touring trike in three sections
- GREENSPEED GTVS6 convertible tandem/solo trike.
- LoGo tandem recumbent trike
- Longbikes Duplex recumbent in 4 sections and fits in 2 hard cases.
- Longbikes Eliminator recumbent tandem in 2 sections
- Recumboni - Cambrie Cycles tandem in 2 sections.
- Rans Screamer tandem in 2 sections.
- Rans Screamer tandem frame in 4 sections. Retrofit by Bilenky.
- Ryan Duplex recumbent tandem in 2 sections.
- WizWheelz tandem recumbent in 2 sections
Why buy a bike with BTCs™?
Can I buy a complete bike manufactured with BTCs™?
- Yes. Almost all the listed framebuilders offer complete bikes in either standard or custom configurations.
- Some framebuilders stock complete travel bike systems including the case and accessories.
What type bikes are available?
Road, mountain, hybrid, touring, cyclocross, tandem, track and recumbent (triangulated frames only, not monotube) bicycles and tricycles are all available.
BTCs™ are as much at home in a USCF Nationals road race as they are down hill mountain bike racing or touring around the world.
- Standard model This is the fastest and most economical way to purchase a new frame or complete bicycle.
The design, available sizes and features are usually standardized. Some framebuilders keep these models in stock for faster delivery.
- Custom design This category offers a wide range of design flexibility. It includes anything from minor changes in a standard model to a specialized design that fits you perfectly.
It's now possible to get a travel bike in almost any style you want and with almost any feature you can imagine.
- Retrofit an existing bike Many of the builders that manufacture new bikes offer retrofitting services.
If you aren't in the market for a new bike it may be possible to install BTCs™ in your steel or titanium frame.
Contact a framebuilder that does retrofits to see if it makes sense for you. Most framebuilders will do retrofits but some my try to discourage it with high prices.
Shopping for a builder that specializes in retrofitting can make a huge difference in the price!
- Not for use on monotube frames. Triangulated frames, such as conventional single and tandem bicycles and recumbent single and tandem bicycles, are ideally suited for S and S Couplings.
Monotube frames are not compatible with S and S Couplings.
That restriction is based on our concern for safety. A monotube frame coupling sees primarily bending compared to a triangulated frame coupling that sees primarily tension and compression.
Since our product wasn't designed or tested for that type of loading, we don't sell it for that purpose.
We do allow it's use on monotube frames that have a structural seat frame that connects the two frame halves in addition to the couplings .
With that said, we have had companies test our couplings on a limited basis on monotube frames and they have held up fine.
It is possible, that with additional testing, we may someday approve of their use on some specific monotube frames.
It is unlikely that we will ever approve the use of couplings for retrofitting monotube frames.
Should I buy a new frame or retrofit my existing frame?
- BTCs™ can be installed on new frames or retrofit into existing steel, titanium or carbon fiber frames. (aluminum frames can't be retrofit).
- For framebuilders, it's simpler to build a new frame because they install the coupling in a tube in advance, then they miter the tube assembly to fit the frame.
The assembled tube is then treated like a solid tube so the actual frame building procedure is unchanged.
Painting isn't a factor on a new frame since paint is part of the manufacturing process with or without couplings.
- With retrofits, the builder cuts the top and down tubes and removes a short section of tube then replaces the removed section with a coupling.
Before a builder can install couplings, they first determine what type tubes were used when the frame was built.
In some cases, due to the shortness of tube butting etc., a tube or two may not be suitable to accept a coupling and will need to be replaced.
Tube replacement can be expensive, therefore, retrofitting may sometimes be impractical.
In addition to installing the couplings, repainting or touch-up will be necessary since about an inch or two of paint will be burned when brazing in the couplings.
The ideal time to retrofit is when frame repair or paint is needed anyway.
In most cases, couplings can only be retrofit to round tubes.
Some builders can change the profile of an odd shaped tube to make it accommodate a round coupling so check with your framebuilder before ruling out the possibility of fitting odd shaped tubes with S and S Couplings.
- To determine if you bike is suitable for retrofitting, check with the builders listed on the framebuilder list.
- To pick a builder to do a retrofit for you, first review the framebuilder list under retrofitting for a builder that does the type of bike that you have.
- Looking through our photo gallery of retrofitted single and tandem bicycles and the owner testimony pages my also help you pick a builder.
- S and S Machine does not evaluate bikes to determine their suitability for retrofitting,
Check with some framebuilders to determine if you bike is a good candidate or not. Not all framebuilders will do retrofitting.
- S and S Machine does not do retrofits, only framebuilders do retrofitting.
How are they installed?
- Steel frames:
- Titanium frames:
- Titanium BTCs™ are used on titanium frames (uses our standard 17-4 stainless steel nut).
The titanium lugs press fit into the inside of the frame tube and are TIG welded in place. Titanium beauty rings cover the weld.
- The "machine to fit" couplings are designed to be machined by the framebuilder to fit tube wall thicknesses that are a size other than the sizes we stock and are commonly used for retrofitting.
- Aluminum frames
- Carbon fiber frames:
- Modified titanium couplings and special aluminum couplings designed for CF are being used on carbon fiber frames manufactured or retrofit by Calfee Design.
Where can I buy them?
- Consumers should purchase complete bikes, frames manufactured with BTCs™ and accessory items from a local retailer.
If your retailer doesn't carry bicycles with BTCs™ and is unable to work with a listed framebuilder, we suggest you contact a framebuilder to locate a retailer in your area. In areas where a framebuilder isn't represented, they may sell to you direct, but there is usually no price advantage.
Some framebuilders don't sell through retailers, they only sell direct to consumers.
For information regarding whether a framebuilder sells direct or through retailers, see the builder profile for each framebuilder which can be found by clicking on the framebuilder's name on the framebuilder lists..
- Retrofitting BTCs™ to your existing frame can be arranged through a retailer but it is more commonly done by going direct to a framebuilder.
- BTCs™ are sold only to professional bicycle framebuilders. We're sorry but couplings are not sold to amateur framebuilders.
- S and S Machine does not sell bikes or retrofit bikes, we only make the couplings which we sell to professional bicycle framebuilders.
Retailer list (partial only)
- Locate a retailer by city, state and country.
- List includes a link to their home page.
How much do they cost?
- S and S Machine only makes S and S Couplings, we don't install them. Please check with a framebuilder regarding the cost of installing them.
- New steel single bike frames add about $300-$750 or more to the regular price of a frame.
- Titanium adds about $750-$1000. (check with a retailer of framebuilder)
- Retrofitting your steel single bike frame costs from $400-$600 or more for steel frames.
- Titanium is about $750-$1000. (check with a retailer of framebuilder)
- Complete bikes can vary considerably. Contact a retailer or framebuilder for prices, not S and S.
Accessories and tools
Cases and accessories are sold through framebuilders and retailers. If you purchased a bike and your supplier doesn't sell accessory items, check with another builder or retailer listed on this web page or contact us for assistance.
Packing a bike in a case
Single bike preferred method, 3D and Merlin, will work for 95% of all bikes regardless of who made it.
More single bikes that use the same or other approaches:
- Waterford road bike (62cm) with ergo style shift levers into a 10" hard case.
- Bianchi road bike retrofit by Jon Tallerico
- Bilenky Cycle Works packing sequence from Bilenky for their Eco-Travel Bicycles
- Calfee Design carbon fiber road bike into a 10" hard case by the owner.
- Co-Motion Co-Pilot mountain bike into a 10" hard case.
- Erickson road bike (63cm) packed into a 10" hard case
- Guru triathlon bike packed by Julia Weatherby
- Rex retrofit Bianchi road bike with down tube style shift levers into a 10" hard case.
- Land Shark touring bike packed and tips by the owner
- Ti CYCLES road bike (56cm) with ergo style shift levers into a 10" hard case.
- True North touring bike Disassembly and Packing into a backpack case
- Raleigh Road bike retrofit by Courtney Custom Cycles
- Ravello road bike in a hard case
- Rivendell Atlantis, 68cm frame retrofit by Rex Cycles
- Video Shipping the Coppi by Bill Palladino (be sure to see the video towards the bottom of the page)
- Specialized Stumpjumper retrofit packed into a backpack case (off site web page)
- Seven Road bike into a 10" hard case
- Surly Travelers Check video on YouTube
- Waterford road bike with ergo style shift levers into a 10" hard case.
- Zinn Packing a Zinn Travel Bike (links to the Zinn web page)
- Zinn Cycles large titanium road bike into a 10" hard case.
- Bilenky Tinker mountain tandem complete into one backpack case.
- Bilenky Tinker hybrid tandem complete into one hard case.
- Bilenky Signature Tinker tandem complete into one 26x26x10" hard case.
- Co-Motion Co-Pilot tandem complete into one 26x26x10" backpack case.
- Co-Motion Co-Pilot tandem complete into one case.
- Co-Motion Sky Capp quick split for transportation in a Honda Odyssey mini van.
- Erickson tandem complete into one hard case.
- Meridian tandem / triplet convertible tandem packed in 2 cases
- Ryan Duplex tandem recumbent in a 58"x26"x10" UPS able box or case.
- ZINN Cycles tandem packing instructions and video
How are they manufactured?
- BTCs™ are precision CNC machined from solid bar on a Mazak 625 Multiplex.
This machine tool has twin turning spindles plus milling for improved accuracy over conventional CNCs.
Precision machining parts isn't new to us. We have been making precision machined parts since 1976 so holding close tolerances is routine for us.
Coupling specifications including size, weight, material and photo
- Stainless steel "classic" BTCs (used on most new steel frames and retrofits)
- Stainless steel "BTC2" Couplings (internal lugs for a minimalist look)
- Titanium BTCs (used only on new titanium or carbon fiber frames and retrofits, won't work on steel frames)
- Chrome-moly TIG weldable BTCs. (limited use on new steel frames, rarely on retrofits)
Travel adventures on bikes equipped with BTCs™
- Round the World At 10 mph On A Tandem Bicycle by Art and Judee Wickersham on a Co-Motion Mocha Co-Pilot tandem
- 100+ country, 50,000 mile, 5 year worldwide mountain bike expedition by Jamie Bianchini and Garryck Hampton on two Black Sheep Bikes Single/Tandem Convertibles
- 11000km tour around the South West of England, Brittany around Europe for 6 months by Björn Blässe on a Thorn tandem
- 48,000 miles/ 4 years riding across 6 continents by Ken Roberts on a Thorn Expedition Cycle
- 7000 Miles from Kentuckey to Alaska by the Harrison family on a Co-Motion tandem, triplet, quad quint convertible bicycle "The Pedouins"
- 8 months around the world starting by circling the US through parts of Canada then on to France Belgium Germany Austria and Italy by Doug and Amy Moore on Retrotec and Inglis mountain bikes
- Alaska to Florida (5 months, 7000 miles) by Randall and Barb Angell.
- Around the world An adventure in progress by Marti Bowditch on a Bilenky Midlands.
- Around the world from 12-02 to 8-04 by the Eber family of four on two Burley Duet tandems.
- Balkan Mountains Willie Weir's 5 month/5000mile adventure on a Rodriguez.
- Belgium, France, Ireland, Italy, Switzerland, UK and the USA on a Merlin by Gerald Soto
- Chesapeake Bay area to Portland then up the coast to Alaska by Margaret and Leigh on a pair of Lynskey ProCross Cyclocross bikes
- China, Cycling in Western Sichuan by Danielle Reed on a Bilenky
- Circumnavigating the Big Island of Hawai`i by Sheila Hoffman & Spencer Beard on a daVinci tandem.
- Cuba on "a bicycle built for two... I mean one... I mean two". Willie and Kat Weir tour Cuba on a Rodriguez single to tandem convertible.
- England By Tandem by Joe & Carolyn Stafford on a Co-Motion tandem.
- Europe Self-contained by Lamar Martin on a Bilenky Travel Tourlite
- France, Loire Valley trip report by Lawrence and Anne Levin on a Co-Motion Sky Capp tandem.
- Giro d'Italia Emily Kenyon's tour in Italy on a Rex retrofit. (off site web page)
- LA to Florida 9 year old William Cushwa and his father David, riding a Bilenky Viewpoint tandem
- Mel's Dream Adventure...New Zealand by Barbara Kornbluh on a Bushnell tandem
- Mountain biking the Sydney 2000 Olympic Course on a Seven Sola by Azizul Adnan
- New Zealand northern island 4 tour, 60 days, 1947 miles, by Janine Rood and Mike Trowbridge on a Bilenky tandem
- New Zealand southern island perimeter tour, 65 days, 1532 miles, by Janine Rood and Mike Trowbridge on a Bilenky tandem
- Pacific Rim A 2 year tour that will visit 23 countries and travel over 20,000 miles on a Rivendell All Rounder.
- Paris-Brest-Paris by framebuilder Steve and Peggy Rex on a Steve Rex tandem.
- Prince Edward Island by Kent and Jenny Peterson on a Co-Motion Co-Pilot tandem.
- Prince Rupert , British Columbia to North Battleford, Saskatchewan, 2,312 km (1,437 miles) over 29 days by Bruce Williamson on an Expedition Touring Bicycle made by Naked Bicycles and Design
- Seattle to Boston Dennis Bell retraces a 1896 bicycle tour on a Bilenky Midlands.
South America to North America, 23,000 miles by Gwendal Castellan on an Arvon Cycles convertible tandem
- SpokeSongs: Bicycle Adventures on Three Continents by Willie Weir, Breakaway Books, on a Rodriguez mountain bike
- The Antipodes Expedition: From Ushuaia to Inuvik by Gwendal Castellan on a Tandem made by Arvon Cycles
- Tour de France Andrew Dahlstrom's cycling experience in the Alps while covering the tour on a Rex road bike.
- TransRockies Challenge, a 7-day MTB race by James Annan and Jules Hargreaves on a Calfee Tetra Tetra carbon fiber tandem.
- Two Sisters on an 18 Country Bike Trip by Lucie Ocenas on a Holdsworth touring rig retrofit by Curtis Inglis
- Around the perimeter of the USA on a tandem with side trips into Mexico and Canada.
- Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park area by Tom Swenson on a Bilenky Midlands
- Worldwide Mountain Bike Adventure Garryck Hampton and Jamie Bianchini are set to depart on a worldwide mountain bike expedition in April 2002 covering over 100 counties over a 3-5year period.
- Year Long Tour of South America by Kirsten Kolkmann (on a Surly Long Haul Trucker) & Seth Gates (on a Merlin Taiga)
(To have your S and S Coupled bike travel adventure added to this list, please send us a link)
Looking for a bicycle touring adventure? Follow this link to see HubBub's Touring Guide.
BTC™ Equipped Bike Owners' Web Pages
(Send us your URL if you have a web page and would like to be listed here)
BTC™ User Guide
To purchase a bike equipped with S and S Couplings, have S and S Couplings retrofit to an existing bike, find out if your bike can be retrofit with couplings or to purchase cases and accessories, please contact a retailer or framebuilder listed on this web site.
S and S Machine does not attempt to determine whether you bike is suitable for retrofitting or not.
Only a framebuilder can make that determination. Some framebuilders are more interested in doing retrofits than others.
Looking at our photo gallery of retrofitted singlesand tandems may be helpful in finding a builder to retrofit your bike.
To ask technical questions that can't be answered by a framebuilder or to get coupling pricing (pricing is for professional bicycle framebuilders only) please contact us
5 to 10 acre view lots for sale in Shingletown/Redding, CA